Green and Renewable Energy
Energy law comprises one of the main practice areas of our firm, in relation to which we are engaged with questions on the planning and the full-scale realization of projects pertaining to both conventional energy sources, as well as investments focusing on renewable energy. The services offered by us also cover any issues that might arise during the operation phase of any implemented projects.
The decade-long experience of the Energy Law Practice Group of KNP LAW enables us to offer personalized legal services to any participants of the energy sector, including energy producers, traders, authorized network operators, energy consumers, and transmission system operators.
Apart from staying up-to-date on the constant changes of sectoral legislation, we place a great emphasis on being in touch and in close cooperation with entities that constitute an essential component of the energy market, and the corresponding authorization process, namely the regulatory authorities, and various experts of the field. We do this to be able not only to provide our clients with prime legal services, but to also to enable us to offer comprehensive solutions for accomplishing the goals of anyone that reaches out to us.
Kornelia Nagy-Koppany, LL.M.
Founder, Managing Partner
Client First Approach
We provide solutions for current and anticipated problems through mutual collaboration between our team and yours. We solve and alleviate the legal obstacle.
Our team consists of attorneys trained in several countries, including the United States, Germany, and France.
We are a firm built on cooperation and collaboration not only with our client’s – but internally within our firm.
Get to Know Our Firm Better!
Green and Renewable Energy
Domestic and Cross-Border Investments
The services provided by us cover any preliminary consultation services regarding the establishment of new power plants, the building of energy transfer networks and pipelines, the wholesaler and retailer activity pertaining to the energy produced, solutions for financing of the various projects, as well as the preparation of any and all documents necessary for the implementation of the aforementioned goals. Our firm also undertakes the representation of its clients in authorization procedures, if requested.
Apart from questions relating to energy produced from conventional energy sources, and following in close proximity to the shift in focus in the energy market observable during the past decade, we accord high priority to the field of renewable energy, and so called green solutions. In line with the above, our firm has provided aid to numerous domestic and international investors to their entry into the Hungarian energy market with projects pertaining to wind, solar and biomass energy, as well as facilitated the implementation of various investments involving cross-border energy transfer.
Environmental Aspects, a Comprehensive Approach
Any investments, irrespective of the fact, whether they are based on energy produced from conventional, or renewable energy sources, necessarily involve certain environmental law aspects, the tackling of which is either a direct prerequisite of the implementation of the given project, or to be regarded as such a compliance issue, which may result in serious administrative and civil law consequences, if ignored. Keeping this in mind, areas such as the conducting of preliminary environmental studies regarding the authorization process, prevention, or handling of pollution, observing the restoration (recultivation) obligation pertaining to the conclusion of projects, or liability for environmental damage caused, are to be regarded as such topics that no responsible investor can afford to overlook.
In accordance with the above comprehensive approach employed by us, we examine each and every assignment from a legal, and – with the help of experts in close cooperation with our firm – from a sectoral/professional point of view, and we aim to provide our clients with concrete, ready-to-use solutions.
Types of Cases We Handle
- Full-scale implementation of projects pertaining to renewable or conventional energy, ranging from the provision of preliminary legal consultation to offering solutions for any questions, or issues that might arise during the operation phase of realized investments.
- Regulatory aspects of energy produced from conventional, or renewable energy sources (especially wind and solar energy), and corresponding subsidies (METÁR scheme, requirements of applying for green or brown premium subsidy).
- Preparation and review of energy agreements, including agreements on the sale and transfer of energy, network connection, cable rights, and cross-border transactions.
- Consultation services and legal representation in the authorization process, preparing the corresponding documentation, acting before the Hungarian Energy and Public Utility Regulatory Authority (“MEKH”).
- Energy and taxes (Energy Tax, Network Access Fee, etc.).
- Energy law compliance, and due diligence.
- Energy law dispute resolution (litigation and out-of-court solutions, representation in arbitration procedures).
- Environmental protection and waste management.
- Aiding lobbying activity, providing assistance in the negotiations with business partners.